Last updated on December 6th, 2017 at 07:12 pm
Game of War recently released the Mythical Training Grounds, allowing you to train new Mythical Creatures. You can read our full analysis on the initial assessment of these new mythical creatures in this post. With the release of these creatures, we have seen a large shift in what is necessary to be safe in Game of War. It quickly became apparent that we were dealing with a large shift in the algorithm towards these creatures.
Due to the apparent massive shift in the GoW combat engine, we have performed several rounds of testing over the last few days. After testing, we have managed to create some “rules” for Mythical Creatures and found (somewhat) their place in the GoW combat system.
Mythical Creature Types
The most important aspect that this testing revealed was quite simple :
Mythical Creatures are tiered, just like troops.
There are two tiers of Creatures (currently), with three TYPES of Creatures. Tier 1 Mythical Creatures get hit BEFORE Tier 2 Mythical Creatures do. They act as your new “meat shield”.
Mythical Creature Types
- Immortal : Strong against BEAST type.
- Dragon : Strong against IMMORTAL type.
- Beast : Strong against DRAGON type.
Tier 1 Mythical Creatures
- Minotaur : Immortal Type
- Dragon : Dragon Type
- Cerberus : Beast Type
Tier 2 Mythical Creatures
- Odin : Immortal Type
- Double Dragon : Dragon Type
- Phoenix : Beast Type
Mythical Creature Testing
In order to discern the tiers and the effect that they had on combat, we performed several rounds of tile tests. In these tile tests we sent various types of mythical creatures along with various TIERS of normal troops to see what died.
In the results shown below, the attacker sent a small amount of ODIN (T2 Immortal) along with the maximum amount of high tier troops into various defending compositions. The results :
As you can see, the most important aspect of those tests is that the defending TROOPS did not have a single loss, even though they were only Tier 3. The same applied when we used Tier 2 troops. This means that the mythic creatures were standing IN FRONT of the troops and taking the damage for them.
Additionally, we see that the Odin (tier 2 attackers) did equal amounts damage to Tier 1 Immortals and Tier 1 Beasts. They did less damage to Tier 1 Dragons. This was an interesting result, but we used this information to set up the base of our new meat shield to keep your Stronghold safe.
Using the tile tests that we did, we discerned the following facts :
- Tier 1 Mythic Creatures take FAR LESS DAMAGE than Tier 2 Mythic Creatures.
- Tier 2 Mythic Creatures are glass cannons – they hit for a massive amount, but break easily.
- Tier 1 Mythic Creatures will take losses before your Tier 2. This serves to protect your stronghold.
- As soon as all Mythic Creatures were dead, the remaining troops (in both Strongholds and on Tiles) get absolutely devastated.
- This is why you’ve seen so many people posting about “glitch hits” lately. They are not glitched. They just didn’t have enough Mythical Creatures to withstand the hit. Double Dragons or Odins will utterly decimate MASSIVE AMOUNTS of troops that do not have Mythic Creatures standing in front of them.
- These new Mythic Creatures are basically serving as a (temporary) “reset” on the combat system for GoW. The only thing that matters at the moment are Mythic Creature stats and counts. Troops are melting to them outright.
- To reinforce that last point : The MOST IMPORTANT thing that matters at the moment are Mythic Creature stats. Focus on these stats above all others.
Using the rules mentioned above, we then built our Stronghold to have a small amount of Troops and juiced up the T1 Mythic Creature meatshield. We left our T1 shield heavier on DRAGONS due to current extreme rarity of the Phoenix (T2 Beast, strong against Dragons). Most hits you will take are from Odins or Double Dragons.
As you can see, the results were a resounding success. We capped a much larger and more researched account heroless, using old Banners. This further serves to show that Troop Stats matter very little at the moment for defending your Stronghold.
In summary, Mythic Creatures are utterly game changing. Everyone should be focused entirely on increasing their Creature stats at the moment. When this changes, we will let you know.
Quick rules for Mythic Creature combat :
- Tier 1 Mythical Creatures are for DEFENSE. Build them to defend your Stronghold.
- Tier 2 Mythical Creatures are for OFFENSE. Send them when attacking enemies.
- Get a scout on your target and see which Tier 1 they have the most of. Send the opposite type of Tier 2 when attacking. (Example : Enemy has 500K Minotaur, 200K Dragon, 200K Cerberus. Send Double Dragon on your attack.)
Stay tuned for further updates on these massively game changing new Mythic Creature mechanics.